Belgium is a country situated in Western Europe.
- Its form of government is ‘a representative democracy headed by a hereditary constitutional monarch’. Nowadays, the monarch is King Philippe of Belgium, and the Prime Minister is Charles Michel of the MR party. (Doucy, et al., 2018)
- It has frontiers with The Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, and France. Its official languages are French, Dutch, and German.
Flag: Three horizontal stripes, one black, one yellow, and one red, which are associated with the former Duchy of Brabant.
- Population: 11,420,163.
- Territory: 30,528 km^2
- Belgium is divided into three regions: Brussels-Capital, which includes the capital of Belgium and its adjacent territory; Flemish Region; and Walloon Region.The regions of Flanders and Wallonia are, at the same time subdivided into five provinces each.
Flags of Wallonia, Brussels-Capital, and Flanders
- It is also divided into three linguistic communities: a Dutch-speaking one, a French-speaking one, and a German-speaking one.
- Most important cities: Brussels; Namur (capital of Wallonia), Charleroi, Liège and Mons in Wallonia; Antwerp (capital of Flanders), Ghent, Bruges, and Leuven in Flanders.
- Currency: Euro (€), previously the Belgian Franc.
- GDP: 528,436 M. US $
- HDI (Human Development Index): 0.916
John, S. (2017, November 2). Geography of Belgium – Federal state in located Western Europe. Retrieved from SM John.com: https://www.smjohn.com/article/geography-of-belgium-federal-state-in-located-western-europe
Doucy, A. J., Van der Wee, H. F., Lamberts, E. L., L. V., Murphy, A. B., & Materné, J. J. (2018, December 3). Belgium. Retrieved from Encyclopedia Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/place/Belgium